Thursday, November 13, 2008

#49

There are currently few things that make me happier than singing along with a Taylor Swift song.  I love her and more than likely will need to dress up as her for 2009's come-dressed-as-your-favorite-nominee party a.k.a. the Anti Grammys a.k.a. Grammy watching party.

However, her penchant for awkwardly singing with props while laying down is admittedly pretty strange.  Here are some examples:

1. transistor radio in the grass

2. in bed with a guitar

3. corded telephone while painting her nails


But, my most favorite country jam of all time still remains "She's In Love With The Boy" by Trisha Yearwood.  I definitely remember my dad playing this on tape cassette while driving me to and from Red Sox coach-pitch "softball" team practice at the diamond in Point of Rocks circa 1st and 2nd grade.  



There are few things I love more than songs (or movie characters!) with my name.  You may be thinking 'Your name is Katie, dummy!  That's only the most popular name EVER for girls born between 1982 and 1985!  It's probably not hard to find things named after you.'

Au contraire.  There's only like, 5 good ones I can think of.... and that brings me to the Greatest Hits Of Katies throughout history:

1. 
Katie from "She's In Love With The Boy" [1991]
See above for video reference.
This song also totally gets name-dropped in Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs book (check out pages 180 through 181 if you've got a copy handy).

2. 
Katy from P.C.U. [1994]
Totally bad ass and bass player for the band Everyone Gets Laid. Also, she definitely nails the pre-frosh after aggressively kissing him...twice.

3. 
Katie in Wet Hot American Summer [2001]
"Listen, Coop... last night was really great. You were incredibly romantic and heroic, no doubt about it. And that's great. But I've thought about it, and my thing is this: Andy is really hot. And don't get me wrong, you're cute too, but Andy is like, cut. From marble. He's gorgeous. He has this beautiful face and this incredible body, and I genuinely don't care that he's kinda lame. I don't even care that he cheats on me. And I like you more than I like Andy, Coop, but I'm 16. And maybe it'll be a different story when I'm ready to get married, but right now, I am entirely about sex. I just wanna get laid. I just wanna take him and grab him and fuck his brains out, ya know? So that's where my priorities are right now. Sex. Specifically with Andy and not with you."
I mean, yea, she's a bitch but at least she's honest.  And who wouldn't rather take it to the bone zone with Paul Rudd?


4.
Katy of Black Unicorn's "Katy"
My mom likes most everyone.  It's my dad I'd be more worried about... And I live in New York - no attic or basement hiding possible.  So, uh, come visit!?
Katy - Black Unicorn

5. 
The daughter in "Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" by Herman's Hermits [1965]
I kinda hope this is an anthem for any dude whose heart I've broken (knowingly or unknowingly) 
Mrs. Brown, Youve Got A Lovely Daughter - Hermans Hermits

Honorable Mention:
Katie from The Matches' "What Katie Said" [2006]
Much like Katie from Wet Hot American Summer, this Katie is also kinda sucks.  ((Sidenote: Dear Matches, See you dudes tomorrow!))
What Katie Said - The Matches



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear katiebrown, i love you and i love your blog. that is all.

Anonymous said...

the pcu, chuck klosterman and wet hot american summer references are why you're one of my favorite people (and obviously katies) all time...