Friday, March 27, 2009

#88

For some reason I’m really digging this book of complied Nick Hornby columns from The Believer. I guess it’s kinda weird to be reading a guy’s reviews on books that I mostly haven’t read – but interesting none the less.


In honor of Bracketology season, he compared literature to a Cultural Fantasy Boxing League.

Hornby says:
"Go on, try it. “The Magic Flute” vs. Middlemarch? Middlemarch in six. “The Last Supper” vs. Crime and Punishment? Fyodor on points. See? I mean, I don’t know how scientific this is, but it feels like the novels are walking it. You might get the occasional exception – “Blonde on Blonde” might mash up The Old Curiosity Shop, say, and I wouldn’t give much for Pale Fire’s chances against Citizen Kane. And every now and again you’d get a shock, because that happens in sport, so Back to the Future III might land a lucky punch on Rabbit, Run; but I’m still backing literature twenty-nine times out of thirty. "

But, one month later he changes his tune….
"So, there we are. Books: pretty good, but not as good as other stuff, like goals, or bootlegs. "


So, there we are. Book are infact pretty rad but lots of things beat them.

Like, gratutious Jordan Farmar sizzle reels


And Replacements' cover songs.


No comments: